Fabric is upcycled from uniform trousers.
This insert is based on a charcoal study of barbed wire. I further developed it with a wash of liquid textile pigment (after using school glue resist). I did some quick stitching roughly following the lines of my drawing. I stitched it to a firm stabilizer with tightly spaced meandering rows of machine stitching. The ‘oops’ in the upper left corner inspired the next machine stitching:
Above photo also shows a thinking process that was scrapped immediately, BUT – it did give me an idea for another project.
Now I have the first side sewn to a zippered ‘boxing’ and have decided to add an open pocket to the second side. I’m giving the top a nice concave curve to increase the opening size. Next photo shows the pocket lined and ready. Then I decide to add a flap to secure contents. I kept the flap within the edges of the opening so it will tuck down inside if the user wishes to do so. The other piece I didn’t use in this bag.
Seems like quite a skip but in this photo of the finished bag I have added a simple looped strap with a clip to secure the flap. The other side of the loop holds a split ring for use on the inside of the zippered compartment. The truth is that I like this side better than the ‘art’ side. Maybe I’ll keep it simple for awhile, exploring more shaping and stitching techniques. Yes -no – maybe….
This zipper pouch is available in my online shop.